Thursday, February 12, 2009

monkey preview

So, me and Monkey are sick today which means lots of lazing about but not much in terms of "quality time". So I decided to try to make it up to her a bit by letting her try on her flower girl dress (I need to kind of keep an eye on the size since I wore it when I was 8, but she'll only be just shy of 4). Adorably she refers to this as her "wedding dress" but it's awesome for other reasons as well. This is the dress my Baba made for ME when I was 7 years old to wear to both my First Communion and my godparents wedding. It was a HUGE deal for me then and I LOVED it. There was a moment in the church when I looked around me at all those huge polyester, 80s numbers, covered in itchy lace, all the little girls with gloves and veils, and there I was in this beautiful swiss dot cotton dress, with my pixie hair cut, and hand-made flower comb, when I felt HORRIBLY out of place (though in hindsight, doesn't that sound awesome?!?!) And then I heard them scratching at the itchy seams, pulling at the tight gloves, and their mothers scoffing at the idea of them getting to play soccer in these "beautiful" dresses... And then I went and played soccer. I love this dress.

So I snapped a few quick detail shots of the dress. It looks like the only thing that may need to be altered will be the armholes, just to make them a little smaller, but other than that, this is how it'll look on the Big Day (you know, minus the worst of the wrinkles!) Let me know what you think!
... hanging from the chandelier in Monkey's room...
That's about 10 rows of all different types of lace and ribbons trip that make up the bodice.
Detail shot of the lace trim along the bottom of the skirt.
Man, this dress is so cute! No stinking halter-tops for my princess! Gotta love a lace-edged, puff sleeve, know what I mean? Oh, and there's a LONG, wide purple satin sash that will tie around the waist...

0 comments:

Post a Comment