Wednesday, March 4, 2009

confession: I'm cheap and over-reaching

It's true. I'm pretty sure that'll be on my tombstone. Point being, we're doing our own food. I know. I KNOW! But I have a PLAN! Hahaha! Even I think this is crazy, but hear me out. (Image from A Backyard Wedding which actually has a great post on the subject!)
  1. We're doing a yummy cold buffet. No warming pans, heating up, chafing dishes or overheated kitchens required.
  2. We're planning on serving pork tenderloin and turkey, both of which we plan on cooking and carving the night before, with our wedding party's help. The pork will be bbq-ed, which should take about an hour, including prep and carving, while we should be able to do 2-3 turkeys in about three hours. How? You ask? Well, being the rednecks we are, we're deep-frying those birdies. You heard me right, DEEP FRIED TURKEY. *drool* Trust me, it's delicious and you can do a HUGE turkey in 45min flat!
  3. Hopefully while the meat is cooking we will prep all of the seasonal fruit/veggie trays (screw Costco), as well as the fixings for our salads and dips.
  4. All of the meat, apps, fruit/veg, and dips will be plated that night, wrapped up and stored at the hall.
  5. The "BIG" project will be icing all 400+ cupcakes... weirdly, though, I've got a lot of volunteers for this, and really, if it takes me less than 1/2 to ice 100 cupcakes on my own, it should be ok. Crazy, but ok.
  6. The day of all that should have to be done is for the tables to be set, and the salad fixings thrown together.
  7. Then I'll pass out.
Any extra tips or advice, you know, beyond "You're demented"? Also, to be honest this decision has a lot more to do with me and A. being control-freaks and refusing to believe that anyone will make "our" pork tenderloin the way we like it... Because, seriously, I've had more dried-out roast beef and turkey at weddings than I care to think about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment