I did it. I broke down... and accepted that the major problem with providing 400 cupcakes of various flavors to your guests is NOT the actual making of said cupcakes, but rather, how in the HELL do you get 400 iced cupcakes from your home to the hall????? Yeah, maybe there's some perfect system for this, but I sure couldn't figure it out.
So, onto plan B: 8-12 individual cakes. Now, I know, I know, crazy work, right? But I am not doing "wedding cakes". Just yummy, old fashioned cakes on the beautiful vintage stands I'd been collecting for the cupcakes. There's every chance I might not even ice the majority of them... This way they can be made ahead of time, wrapped in plastic wrap and easily transported and placed on the plates, maybe with a handful of fresh berries around the edges. Why didn't I think of this before??? Now, maybe if we had a bigger wedding this would present it's own nightmares ie. How do you serve all that cake?! But I think I've got it covered: I scored a dozen cake knives from the dollar store, which I plan on sinking into each cake and folks can simply slice off a hunk themselves, family-style. Again, the ONLY reason I'm considering this is because we have less than 75 people, 90% of whom ARE our family and will not for one second find this weird.
Now to bake! First up is the "white" cake demo recipe that I'm working on for my buddies who I foolishly agreed to whip up a simple cake for their own wedding ONE WEEK AFTER MINE! I'm a putz. Thankfully, the cake seems to be pretty freaking delish! Yay! I think I'm just going to do two layers, with simple strawberry jam between, iced with buttercream, with fresh strawberries tucked along the edges. Then she was just wanting a bunch of pink silk hydrangeas tucked on top. Nice and simple, the whole thing'll sit on the white, ceramic, fluted-edge cake stand I'm lending her. Here's the recipe, if you're interested. Oh, and you know, the site it's from rules, so that's cool. *har* Image from Lottie + Doof.
And actually, while looking for a delicious white cake recipe (surprisingly difficult to come by, but it's what girlfriend wanted so...) I came across this totally adorable image for little cupcake flags on toothpicks. I think this would be SUCH a cute little diy for my now-cake table, no?! I'll let you know how it goes! Image from FoodGawker.
So, onto plan B: 8-12 individual cakes. Now, I know, I know, crazy work, right? But I am not doing "wedding cakes". Just yummy, old fashioned cakes on the beautiful vintage stands I'd been collecting for the cupcakes. There's every chance I might not even ice the majority of them... This way they can be made ahead of time, wrapped in plastic wrap and easily transported and placed on the plates, maybe with a handful of fresh berries around the edges. Why didn't I think of this before??? Now, maybe if we had a bigger wedding this would present it's own nightmares ie. How do you serve all that cake?! But I think I've got it covered: I scored a dozen cake knives from the dollar store, which I plan on sinking into each cake and folks can simply slice off a hunk themselves, family-style. Again, the ONLY reason I'm considering this is because we have less than 75 people, 90% of whom ARE our family and will not for one second find this weird.
Now to bake! First up is the "white" cake demo recipe that I'm working on for my buddies who I foolishly agreed to whip up a simple cake for their own wedding ONE WEEK AFTER MINE! I'm a putz. Thankfully, the cake seems to be pretty freaking delish! Yay! I think I'm just going to do two layers, with simple strawberry jam between, iced with buttercream, with fresh strawberries tucked along the edges. Then she was just wanting a bunch of pink silk hydrangeas tucked on top. Nice and simple, the whole thing'll sit on the white, ceramic, fluted-edge cake stand I'm lending her. Here's the recipe, if you're interested. Oh, and you know, the site it's from rules, so that's cool. *har* Image from Lottie + Doof.
And actually, while looking for a delicious white cake recipe (surprisingly difficult to come by, but it's what girlfriend wanted so...) I came across this totally adorable image for little cupcake flags on toothpicks. I think this would be SUCH a cute little diy for my now-cake table, no?! I'll let you know how it goes! Image from FoodGawker.
1 comments:
I have a pretty amazing vanilla cake recipe that I use for my cupcakes. It's a variation on the Billy and Magnolia cupcake recipes. Which I'm sure are amazing but can't hold a candle to mine. :)
Post a Comment