Thursday, February 5, 2009

a keepsake worth keeping?

So I'm notoriously not sentimental when it comes to keepsakes. I have to FORCE myself to take photos of events and even then I rarely ever look at them (god bless the internet, at least it helps me keep them organized!) I own no trinkets to the point that when I bought a neat shelf for my new home I had nothing to put on it. Generally, if it doesn't serve a purpose, I pitch it. Though honestly, this probably has more to do with my actual tendency to be a packrat... I'm fighting it with all I'm worth.
And let's face it, a wedding is nothing if not about keepsakes *gag, eyeroll*. So I'm down with the dozen or so cake stands (I do a butt-load of baking and already use them all the time) and the lanterns will look great, strew across our deck, but special cake knives? champagne flutes? guest book? garter? Yeah, not so much.
My point being, something's gotta be pretty great, pretty meaningful, and, well, pretty, for me to bother even considering 1. spending the money in the first place 2. actually using it 3. bothering to keep it afterwards.
Well, remember my post about the kitschy cake toppers? Well, I must have an eye out now for toppers, which I didn't even think I'd be using, honestly, because I found these... They're ceramic peonies! Oh my! How do I love these?!!! I had considered using peonies regardless, and this is just so perfect! Now I don't have to worry about the state of my peony bush, or ants, for that matter, and I'll have something pretty to hold down the gazillion papers always flying around my desk... useful, pretty, AND budget friendly? Sold. Image from Estilo Weddings.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say I love your blog, really funny and well written. The flowers you chose for the cake toppers are beautiful. I just have to burst one teeny weeny bubble..... the clay they are made of is very light.

Don't get me wrong its very durable, it just won't be holding down any papers from flying away!

But believe me you will LOVE THEM TO DEATH!!! I did I had my bouquet, my centerpieces, hairpieces, boutonniers, all made of the clay, peonies and cherry blossoms by Kat of Petal by Petal on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5764566

Post a Comment