So, me and A. had agreed not to have boutonnieres. This decision came after I realized that, though tiny, those suckers can get EXPENSIVE since you often can't buy just ONE feather, or one leaf, etc. Now I could have them made, granted, but that was still looking like a minimum of $8 per, and well, for something A. didn't care about either way, that seemed kind of silly (seriously, I'm not cheap, I swear. Just die-hard practical). But about an hour ago I had a brainflash and figured, "Why not? If it doesn't work out, all I've lost is a bit of time."
See, I suddenly realized that I had dime-store roses with leaves and wire stems, pearl-headed pins, black silk ribbon, and these super fun beaded stalks that I found for only a dollar for, get this, 6 feet! So, I broke of a "rose" stem, snipped off three different lengths of the beaded stalks and, because I HATE florist tape, and because, well, duct tape is practically a religion out here, I tightly wrapped the tape around the wire stem first, then around each stalk, pulling tightly between wraps. Then I ripped off two sets of leaves and tightly wrapped and taped them, overlapping, around the bottom of the stalks. Lastly, I just wrapped the silk ribbon around the duct tape, securing it snugly with two pins, making sure to bury them deeply so the boys, you know, won't get stabbed. And voila! Boutonnieres from the scrap pile. DIY and inadvertently eco-conscious! Loves it!
See, I suddenly realized that I had dime-store roses with leaves and wire stems, pearl-headed pins, black silk ribbon, and these super fun beaded stalks that I found for only a dollar for, get this, 6 feet! So, I broke of a "rose" stem, snipped off three different lengths of the beaded stalks and, because I HATE florist tape, and because, well, duct tape is practically a religion out here, I tightly wrapped the tape around the wire stem first, then around each stalk, pulling tightly between wraps. Then I ripped off two sets of leaves and tightly wrapped and taped them, overlapping, around the bottom of the stalks. Lastly, I just wrapped the silk ribbon around the duct tape, securing it snugly with two pins, making sure to bury them deeply so the boys, you know, won't get stabbed. And voila! Boutonnieres from the scrap pile. DIY and inadvertently eco-conscious! Loves it!
2 comments:
That sounds amazing, wait no more like something i would do myself, not only does it save money but, there beautiful to boot.
I rushed over right after reading your comment to find pictures. These are fabulous!!! I didn't have all the things I needed around the house so I went a little Etsy crazy for supplies. I still spent under $20 for everything though (enough to make 10+ bouts) so that's better then buying them. I will def. incorporate duct tape!
Post a Comment