Friday, October 9, 2009

yip yip! I figured it out!

So, here's the thing with been uber-cheap, but unwilling to just allow things to continue to suck due to said cheapness: it's takes a LOT of thinking to figure stuff out. You can't just run out to the store to BUY the table that would look perfect in that space. You need to somehow either MAKE it, or FAKE it. In general, I have a $40 maximum budget for any given project, and that has to include EVERYTHING needed for said project, regardless of size or involvement. So when I figure out a few ideas along the way (like buying paint that can be used for EVERYTHING, thus making it worth having a $25 bucket around at all times. Or like having yummy vanilla icing by the tub, that can easily be tinted any colour to suit, instead of making whole batches at a time. Or like the fact that a package of co-ordinating scrapbook paper can be a miracle when it comes to crafting (everything will GO but not match, and you'll look like a co-ordinating freaking genius). Or that Modge Podge came straight from heaven.) I get pretty excited.
So, after upcycling the kitchen table and chairs, and with snow on the ground inspiring future project-dom, I've turned my eye to the large cedar chest currently taking up residence at the end of our bed. While awesome, and the PERFECT size, this chest USED to be in my daughter's room, which is where it received it's FIRST redo... in hot pink felt (it's from the late seventies and was previously covered in ripped up, nasty brown leather. Not exactly princess friendly.) Yeah, oddly that glaring pink doesn't exactly GO with our champagne, pewter, and grey/blue bedroom (shocking, I know).But with the cost of fabric being, you know, stupid, not to mention (believe it or not) we're down to just ONE fabric store in the city which makes it HARD to get to, I've been trying to think of more cost-effective ways to recover the poor thing.... At first I thought "Aha! Ikea!" But the only fabric that was suitable was, obviously, the most expensive... So then I moved on to "Hey! I'll just use a cheap curtain panel!" But the "cheap" panels only came in either brown or taupe NEVER JUST EFFING GRAY (ok, ok. the no gray thing kind of frustrated me...)
But now, with the help of post over here I've got a think! I already have a fleece blanket that we're not using that'll match our bedroom suite perfectly! Yay! So off to the garage I go to wrangle up a staple gun and a screwdriver! Wish me luck! Image from aforementioned post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment